If you can...
- Type text.
- Highlight text.
- Click a link icon.
- Copy/Paste an URL from the browser website address bar.
Why Make Your Own, Homemade Bookmark Manager?Quite simply, because it is incredibly convenient. Laying out all your links exactly the way you want them is so much more efficient than any browser bookmark list or app can ever be or do.
Plus, the bookmark manager web page or online document will always be there for you. Convenience factors include:
- Always available no matter which or whose computer or mobile device you are using.
- The ability to organize your links in rows as well as columns.
- Never losing all your bookmarks, due to accidental deletion or browser corruption.
- Never losing all your bookmarks, due to hard disk or other computer problems.
- The convenience of grouped-by-type links.
- The convenience of grouped-by-subdomain links.
- The convenience of grouped-by-frequency links.
- The ability to set the background and your link text to whatever color, size, and font, that is easy on and best for your eyes.
- The ability of your bookmark lists to change as your needs and preferences evolve.
How to Organize Your Bookmarks. And Things to Include in Your Lists.
As for groups, some examples would be:
- A row of the search engines you use.
- A row of the news sites you regularly visit.
- A row of your frequently visited social media sites.
- A row of your blog websites.
- A row of your email websites.
- A row of your less frequently visited social media websites.
- A row of utility websites, e.g., weather, calendar, etc.
- A row of whatever doesn't fit somewhere else.
- Subdomain rows of a website.
How to Make Your Online Document Bookmark PageHere is a Demo Bookmark Template (opens in new tab). Feel free to copy to your own document. The links are set to open in new tabs, which is a necessary feature. If that attribute fails to transfer when you copy, you will need to reset them to that option.
If you are not already using an online document app that lets you publish to the web, then I recommend G-Drive for your first cloud experience. They are owned by Google, so they will be around for awhile; it is free. It is as easy to use as any other word processor. Once you are familiar with it, you will probably use it for other projects as well.
Side note. Sometimes, copying from one app or format to another results in an unusable mess. If that happens, try copying into your document using the web page version below. In addition to the template, the next section also has additional, worthwhile information.
How to Make Your Own Website Bookmark Web Page - Website Building the Easy Way
Here is a webpage version of the Demo Bookmark Template (new tab). Only highlight and copy the portion between the lines, objective being to omit as much unnecessary HTML and unwanted attributes as possible.
If you are not already using a website design app or software, then Blogger/Blogspot is free and easy to use; no degree in rocket surgery required. It is also run by Google and so will be around for awhile.
Since you are creating this template site for your own personal use, you will probably only have the one post. You will frequently re-edit it as desired.
Once you've created the blog and are ready to do the post, it's pretty straightforward. After copying over the template into your new post, just type in and arrange your additional destination titles as desired. You don't have to do all of them at once. Start with your most frequently visited websites. No problem leaving the post open in edit mode as you are visiting the other sites.Then, as you are visiting your sites, take a moment to copy/paste the URL into your titles.
Always set the link to open in a new tab. The planned routine, once you have everything set up, is for the bookmark page tab to always be open and available at the far left.
In layout mode, do enable (if it isn't already) the navbar you will see at top-right. This way, you have one-click access to re-edit your page whenever you wish to add another URL.
A Blogger/Blogspot editor note. When attempting to space from an existing link to add text in preparation for the next link in the row, the editor extends the hyperlink attribute into the space. To circumvent, don't do the space; hit enter instead. Then enter your space and text on the new line. Then go back to the end of the previous line and hit delete to bring your new line up to the existing line. It will then be as it should be.
Last, but not least, organize everything so all your bookmarks will fit on a single screen. Your objective is convenience, having to scroll all the time would defeat that purpose.
Once published, set the page as your new browser home.
Privacy OptionsYou can restrict public access to your bookmarks page to whatever degree you wish. You will find the privacy options under Settings on the left-side menu when in design mode.
No matter what privacy settings you use, do keep in mind the internet is the internet. So it would be wise to not include bookmark links to such things as your bank, credit card, or utility accounts. For that matter, such links should not be on your browser bookmark list either. Those links can be accessible to any malware that might happen along.
Other Blogger/Blogspot OptionsFor those who are not already familiar with Blogger/Blogspot, the platform has all sorts of other capabilities. Some of those capabilities include:
- Displaying ads and earning part of the revenue
- News feeds
- Lots more
Some Final Thoughts...Once the bookmarks manager page was set up the way I wanted it, my overall efficiency had a marked increase. Somehow, it caused me to become a real tab management pro. Projects involving repeated, multiple website access were not only easy and quick to do; they were fun again.
And besides, any bookmark manager webpage or website you create and customize exactly the way you want can't help but be:
- 10 times better than anything Mozilla Firefox could come up with.
- 10 times better than anything Google Chrome could come up with.
- 10 times better than anything Microsoft Explorer could come up with.
- 10 times better than Safari or any other prefabricated, standardized, generic website could come up with.
- 10 times better than anything a third-party vendor could come up with, simply because only you really know what you want.